I note with cool disdain that the Australian blog awards are on again. I'm certainly not interested in the slightest in that kind of popularity contest at all, in the least, even a little bit or to any degree whatsoever. I'm above such things. I really don't care how many people read me (I only check sitemeter several times a day because I accidentally click on the little button. I'm in this to help the environment. And disadvantaged people everywhere.)
Interesting to see I've already been nominated for several awards in the following categories:
- Best blog post using five or fewer words for "Too busy. Will blog later."
- Best blog post providing textual description to vision-impaired people of lithographs of dogs riding in scale-models of armoured vehicles (NSW/ACT Division) for "War never loses its spots: images of dalmation pups commanding light tanks in Korea 1950-1953." (I'm very proud of this post but I don't expect to win. It's a crowded field.)
- Best blog post about char-grilled eggplant (but, disappointingly, not for for best blog post about pan-seared aubergine which I'm rather upset about) for "How purple is my eggplant (lipstick): two months in drag in an Andalusian restaurant kitchen."
- Best blog about masturbation in a cross-cultural context for my other blog Onanism in Oman: Jerk-off of Arabia. (I really think that one is breaking down barriers and helping to combat misunderstanding of the Islamic world in Australia. It was also great fun to do.)
- Best blog post about global development issues for "Why don't poor people in poor countries just go to supermarkets like everybody else?"
- Best blog ever except for all the others.
But if someone doesn't freakin nominate me for:
- Best ACT blog
- Best new blog
- Best humorous blog
then I'll freakin cry. Alone. In the toilet. With a tim tam.
(Does that sound needy?)